15 January 2009

Testing testing...

Testing, testing. One tu. One tu. Testing.

For some reason, whenever I have a microphone in my hand, I can't say "One, Two", like a normal person, I have to shave off a part of the "Two" and say "tu" - and funny enough, I've noticed that a lot of people do the same.

Why the microphone on the left you ask? Because I like the sound of my own voice? Well, yes, there is that. But mostly because I like the sound of my own voice amplified.

This is all besides the point though. What I actually was thinking about today was that I spent the majority of the day delivering some training to a group of guys and girls in the office (around 50 people). So nothing major, like the one lecture that I gave at the University of Johannesburg when I (very very unexpectedly) had about 400 students in one room looking at me probably thinking - what the hell is he going to talk about?

Well, I clearly remember spending half that lecture doing a bit of a random stand-up routine, having some fun and poking some fun at the students and myself in the process - everybody thought that I was trying to make them relax, but actually, I was just trying to make myself relaxed.

But I digress... So back to today: I spent 4 hours or so delivering this training today, and then spent the rest of my work day(which ended at a very unbalanced 7:30pm) trying to fit the rest of my normal work day in. Come 7:30pm, I was pretty exhausted, but you know what? I was pretty happy!!!

So I came home tired and happy.
AND baffled.
Because I couldn't quite understand why a day like today left me happy.

So, after much soul searching (that lasted about 52 seconds), I conclude on the following two things:

Thing 1:
I draw my energy from people and crowds, and I do enjoy getting up and doing a song and dance, so that experience both energises and then exhausts me (if this makes any sense at all)

Thing 2: I'm afraid I might be a Neanderthal after all (who would've thought!) and sincerely believe that "Man was born to work" and that for some reason, on some basic level, men find happiness in hard work.

Apparently this has been known by many people for a very long time, and so I wouldn't have to find these things out of myself if I was just a bit more well read! Apparently, some dude called Job (I know, the irony....) in the Bible said: "As the bird is born to fly and the fish to swim, even so is man born to work." Clever guy, that Job. Funny name, but clever guy!

I apologise for the seemingly randomness of the writing today, but I'm feeling randomy.
Testing... Testing... One tu. One tu. Testing.

No comments:

Post a Comment