30 March 2009

Peaceful existence


Everyday, I walk past this piece of 'art' on Russell Street on my way to work.
Usually, I'm kinda late or nearly late, so I'm walking rather briskly to get there.
This morning, I decided to slow down and take a good look.

It's not so much that I have absolutely no idea what this is... Nor have I really bothered to go close to it to see if there's a plaque that will try and tell me what it is and why I should appreciate and be in awe of it.

It strikes me as beautiful because it's been allowed to linger there
I think most people think it's a bit of a farce, but... but despite that...
it's still there
happily sitting on Russell Street
waiting for people like me to admire it
and wonder whether the artist was mentally challenged.

But I like it,
I like that it's there
I like that it's Ok for it to be there
I like that the people are Ok with it just being there
It's kind of peaceful
I like that
a lot.

2 comments:

  1. Cool perspective in the photo. That is one thing I have really enjoyed about Melbourne - the random art around the place.
    There have been a couple of sound and light installations in city alleyways occasionally. The graffiti art on Hosier Lane changes fairly regularly too.
    Something really different and refreshing.

    ReplyDelete